Monday, October 24, 2011

ODST Armor Build

I did it. I have joined the prestigious 405th armor community. I have built my own suit of Halo ODST Armor. Was it worth the time, blood, aching back, and cramped hands to build it. I'd like to think so. Most, if not all, threads on 405th.com says it takes about 2 months to create a suit. I did it in 3 weeks (after skipping a few steps). There was no way I could (or would) use fiberglass and resin, bondo, and cardstock paper to make the armor. I don't want to go broke making it. So, I made it out of carboard boxes and duct tape. I used the same plans as everyone else and it turned out fairly well.

I started the first week of October with the idea to make  the armor as my Halloween costume. I didn't realize how many parts there were until I printed out the designs for just the elbow pieces. SEVEN PIECES for just an elbow pad. I had my work cut out for me.

Shin guards were next. They took forever to cut, score, and fold. SO MANY ANGLES! I ran out of regular tape so I had to use duct tape to make it. Several of the small details of the guards were lost due to the thickness of the duct tape, but it still turned out well.

Now came the helmet. After spening several days cutting out every piece needed for it, I got to work putting it together. I had read that alot of the plans online were not all made to scale which kind of scared me. I thought the helmet wouldn't fit. I test fitted it so many times during construction. I was so relieved when it was done and it easily fit over my head.

The torso armor was the lastpiece to make. I had a week and a half till Halloween and I barely had the design printed out. I hurried as fast (and accurate) as possible to get everything cut out. X-acto knives hurt when they go through cardboard. I spent three days in my room hurrying to get the pieces together. When they finally came together, a rush of relief came over me. My armor was complete (not counting my shoulder armor, but that'll come later).

Painting was the next step. Spray paint comes in so many different colors but smells just the same. I did a base coat of grey and a second coat of black paint. I hand painted the UNSC logo onto the front chest piece and painted the letters onto the neck. It looked pretty good in the end.

Now, I am simply waiting for Halloween as well as the release of Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary.
HALO FOR THE WIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment